University Grants Commission (UGC) has recognised 24 fake universities and has sent a legal notice to two of them. As per IANS, this came in a written reply in Parliament on Thursday by Satya Pal Singh, Minister of State for Human Resource Development.
List of fake universities which have received an FIR from the UGC
1. Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM) in Delhi
2. Bio-Chemic Education Grants Commission in Nadia, West Bengal
21. Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road,Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
22. North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha
24. Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, No. 186, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road, Puducherry-605009
* Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP - the matter is subjudice before the District Judge - Lucknow
"The UGC has issued show-cause/warning notices to fake universities and cautioned that running of undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses and giving misleading advertisements shall attract severe action under the provisions of appropriate laws including the UGC Act and the Indian Penal Code," Satya Pal Singh, Minister of state for Human Resource Development, said.
Penalty imposed on universities
As per the UGC Act, the commission is only empowered to levy a penalty of mere Rs 1,000 against these fake institutions.