The driver of the van that plowed into pedestrians near a mosque in north London is being named as Darren Osborne
LONDON — A driver who plowed a van into a group of Muslims leaving nighttime prayers was not on any security watch lists, authorities said Monday, as London was gripped by its third terrorist blow in as many months. The driver of the van that plowed into pedestrians near a mosque in north London is being named as Darren Osborne, 47, a resident of Cardiff in Wales,
The attacks in London have a common and unsettling thread — each used a vehicle as a mobile weapon — but the latest chaos outside two north London mosques stood apart as an apparent attempt to target Muslims.
Ten people were injured. One man died at the scene, but police said that he was receiving first aid before the van struck the worshipers, and it was unclear whether he died as a result of the attack.
Witnesses said the driver was heard shouting that he wanted to kill Muslims after he was wrestled to the ground. In a stunning twist, however, the driver may have been spared serious harm from the outraged crowd after one of the mosque imams appealed for calm.
While authorities have not released the name or background of the suspect, the attack immediately stoked tensions in a city already on a razor’s edge after apparently Islamist-inspired attacks. In addition to the three attacks in London involving vehicles, a suicide bombing in Manchester last month killed 23 people and injured more than 100.Many Muslims feared possible backlash, urging extra security for mosques and other sites. And counterterrorism authorities are now exploring the possibility that Muslims were targeted as they question the suspect and dig into his views.The driver of the van that plowed into pedestrians near a mosque in north London is being named as Darren Osborne, 47, a resident of Cardiff in Wales,